Riverbed SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp Software
The industry’s leading Application Delivery-as-a-Service solution
SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp: Key Features
Formerly Known As: Stingray Services Controller Software
Sorry, this product is no longer available, please contact us for a replacement.
Introducing Application Delivery-as-a-Service with the Riverbed SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp
Applications are now the center of the business world. We rely on them to reach customers, build products, automate back-end business processes, and perform almost every task critical to business. A key ingredient for fast, reliable applications is the application delivery controller (ADC). It accelerates transactions, maximizes availability, maintains security policies, and provides a point of control to monitor and manage application trafﬁc. But most ADCs on the market today are not designed for cloud deployments because their static architectures make them cumbersome and time consuming to deploy and manage in virtualized and cloud environments. New workﬂows and operations models prevalent in public and private clouds need a new dynamic architecture that removes bottlenecks and delivers improved agility, high automation levels and faster time to service. At Riverbed Technology, we call this new architecture ADC as-a- Service (ADCaaS), which enables you to:
- Cut down provisioning time from weeks to immediate
- Provide better user experience with per-app tuning and multi-tenancy
- Deliver better security and performance through isolation and scale
- Right-size your ADCs and save up to 50% in costs
ADCaaS provides a new set of tools to quickly deploy application delivery services where they are needed. ADC instances can be deployed in minutes, rather than weeks.
Deliver better ROI with usage-based business model
- Why pay for ADC capacity you don’t need or use?
- Take the guesswork out of manually sizing an ADC per application or per tenant
- Avoid the up-front costs of pre-procuring ADC capabilities in advance
- Align costs to resources used and improve ROI
Bring new services to market more quickly
- Roll out new applications, scale existing services, and respond to rapidly changing customer demands
- Create new ADC instances on a per application or per tenant basis instantly
- Start and stop instances for service migration, and dynamically provision ADC instances for even faster instant-on services
- Automatically provision, deploy, license, meter, and manage the inventory of thousands of ADCs in an as-a-service model
- Launch multiple ADC instances in parallel so that multiple tenants or applications and customers can be provisioned simultaneously
Riverbed SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp: How ADC as-a-Service is Enabled
SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp software enables customers to automatically provision, deploy, license, meter, and manage the inventory of thousands of ADCs in an as-a-service model. The solution also enables a new consumption model for customers deploying ADC services, called the SteelApp Trafﬁc Manager “micro” instance. This allows ADC services to be elastically scaled on demand and be right-sized to suit each application in the data center, offering high density, full isolation, and multi-tenancy scaling.
The SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp automates the rapid deployment of application delivery services for existing and emerging network and data center architectures — including software-deﬁned networks (SDNs) and software-deﬁned data centers (SDDCs). It also seamlessly integrates with 3rd party cloud and service orchestration tools and provisioning systems in your data center, making it easy for you to deploy ADCs in an as-a-service model. Now enterprises and cloud providers alike can automatically provision, deploy, license, meter, and manage thousands of ADCs.
With automated fast-start installation and rapid on-demand services, you can provide high-density application delivery services in either a sharedservices or a distributed deployment model. With the SteelApp Services Controller, Riverbed makes possible an “ADC per application” deployment model, providing every client or application access to a dedicated ADC platform, which can be customized to meet the needs of key business applications.
The SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp Delivers:
- Agile ADC deployment: Deploy application delivery services very quickly, and exactly where needed to reduce time to market for new applications and services.
- Automated service chaining for Layer 7 services on top of SDN architectures: SteelApp Trafﬁc Manager is architected for software-deﬁned environments, and our ADC as-a-service technology provides an application services delivery layer on top of the SDN architecture, thus helping to deliver a more integrated, functional system. Now SDN can be used to automate service chaining for upper layer services, resulting in reduced deployment errors and risk.
- High-density multi-tenancy and isolation: Now you can right size and scale in multi-tenant environments while maintaining isolation on a per application or per tenant basis. This mitigates performance concerns by eliminating noisy neighbor problems, while maximizing ADC utilization and investment.
- Flexible and on-demand licensing and metering: SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp maintains an inventory of all the ADC instances, keeps a database of licenses used by each client application, meters the overall usage of all the application delivery services, and provides integrated billing records that enable you to charge back to individual client applications.
Deploying the SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp: Virtual, Cloud, or Dedicated Servers
SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp is licensed by subscription based on the maximum number of ADC instances required, and the aggregate maximum bandwidth. In addition to usage-based billing, SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp can also support bulk licensing for enterprise deployments, allowing the overall ADC capacity to scale elastically to suit the demands of each application.
The SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp can be deployed in three ways:
1. As stand-alone software on a commodity OS and server or compute blade platform: suitable for implementation of large-scale enterprise and consumer applications where the ADC capacity is pre-deﬁned and planned.
2. As a virtual appliance complete with integrated OS and networking: useful in virtual and cloud environments where additional ADC instances may be provisioned on demand. This includes public and private cloud implementations where licenses are required on an individual basis.
3. As a lightweight “micro” instance: ideal where large numbers of ADCs are deployed, under the direct command of the SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp. This is better suited to usage-based business models where a large number of dedicated ADC instances are needed, but still allows the throughput of an individual instance to scale from small to very large in order to meet customer demands. This is the preferred method for use with SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp software.
|Software Environment: Riverbed SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp|
|Operating system||Ubuntu 12.04 (x86_64)|
|Recommended hardware: CPU||Intel Xeon / AMD Opteron|
|Recommended hardware: Minimum memory||2 GB|
|Recommended hardware: Minimum disk space||10 GB (Plus additional disk space for metering logs depending on the number of instances metered)|
|Virtual Environment: SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp|
|Hypervisor||VMware vSphere ESXi 5.0+|
|Recommended hardware: CPU||4 vCPUs|
|Recommended hardware: Minimum memory||8 GB|
|Recommended hardware: Minimum disk space||46 GB (plus additional disk space for metering logs depending on number of instances metered)|
|Virtual Environment: Instance Host VA|
|Hypervisor||VMware vSphere ESXi 5.0+|
|Recommended hardware: CPU||2 vCPUs (small); 8 vCPUs (large)|
|Recommended hardware: Minimum memory||4 GB (small); 16 GB (large)|
|Recommended hardware: Minimum disk space||25 GB|
|Software / Virtual Environment: Riverbed SteelApp Traffic Manager|
|SteelCentral Services Controller managed||Ubuntu 12.04 (x86_64)|
|Unmanaged, software||Same as SteelApp Traffic Manager (9.3 or above)|
|Unmanaged, VA||Same as SteelApp Traffic Manager (9.3 or above)|
- Operations GUI available in SteelCentral Services Controller VA form factor only
- Backup of the metering log (for billing) is the responsibility of the customer
- Operations GUI has some functional limitations compared with REST interface
- Instance monitoring requires SteelApp Traffic Manager version 9.5 or later
Steelapp Functionality By Model
|Functionality||Basic Load Balancer (CSP only)||Advanced Load Balancer (CSP only)||Standard Edition||Enterprise Edition|
|Cluster Size (max)||2||-||-||-|
|Load Balancing||Round robin and least connection only||Y||Y||Y|
|Session Persistence||IP and SSL only||Y||Y||Y|
|RuleBuilder||Basic content routing only||Y||Y||Y|
|Active Health Monitoring||-||Y||Y||Y|
|Eventing and Alerting||-||Y||Y||Y|
|Application DoS Protection||-||Y||Y||Y|
|Web Content Caching||-||-||Y||Y|
|Transaction Rate Shaping||-||-||Y||Y|
|Service Level Monitoring||-||-||Y||Y|
|Global Load Balancing||-||-||-||Y|
|Route Health Injection||-||-||-||Y|
Download the Riverbed SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp Brochure (.PDF)
Download the Riverbed SteelCentral Services Controller for SteelApp Spec Sheet (.PDF)
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.