Riverbed SteelHead EX 760 Series
Complete branch office WAN optimization in one box
Sorry, this product is no longer available, please contact us for a replacement.
Click here to jump to more pricing!
The Riverbed SteelHead EX series combines WAN optimization, virtualization, and storage consolidation. As such, it enables organizations to meet the needs of the active branch office with an enterpriseclass branch office box.
Every SteelHead EX appliance features the Riverbed Virtual Services Platform (VSP), a dedicated platform that runs virtual services and enables greater consolidation in branch offices.
The SteelHead EX series (with the Riverbed VSP) helps you consolidate previously orphaned services onto a highperformance branch office box. Specifications include ample dedicated memory and disk to ensure virtual machine performance without compromise.
Using this revolutionary approach, you can run edge services virtually in all of your branch offices — without having to deploy and manage standalone servers. Consolidating and virtualizing with the SteelHead EX series streamlines operations, cuts costs, simplifies management, and enables more agile service delivery.
Reduce Costs By Consolidating And Virtualizing Branch Servers
- Reduce bandwidth utilization
- Eliminate the need to buy and deploy stand-alone branch office servers
- Reduce IT infrastructure complexity
Streamline Branch Office Operations
- Simplify management
- Enable more agile service delivery
Accelerate Applications Up To 100 Times
Reduce Bandwidth Demands Up To 99 Percent
Enterprise-class branch office box
- Combines VMware vSphere virtualization technology with the award-winning Riverbed Optimization Series (RiOS ) into a single, purpose-built appliance
- Includes ample memory, disk, and processing power to move data more quickly, reduce traffic volume, and minimize bandwidth requirements
- Combines data reduction, TCP and UDP optimization, and application-level protocol optimization to provide the highest performing and most scalable WAN optimization solution available
- Consolidates across the data center and within the branch
- Combines the flexibility offered by VMware vSphere Hypervisor with WAN optimization to lower your operational and capital expenses
- Seamlessly integrates to enable you to fine-tune and control performance to increase operational agility
Storage delivery integration
- Integrates with the Riverbed Granite storage delivery module to consolidate remote office servers, storage, and backup to the data center, while still delivering a local experience to edge users
- Creates a single office box solution to consolidate local office infrastructure, simplify management, reduce costs, and increase operational agility
Built-in visibility and packet capture
- Acts as a Riverbed Cascade probe, making it easy to gather packet data and receive flow data from the branch
- Provides remotesite troubleshooting and application-level visibility without affecting core WAN optimization — at no additional cost
- Eliminates the need to deploy a dedicated probe — or even a remote site technician — to extend Cascade application-aware network performance management to the WAN optimized environment
Centralize And Reduce Operational Overhead While Improving End-user Satisfaction
Our award winning SteelHead WAN optimization products have been proven to dramatically speed up applications in some of the most demanding customer environments. Companies of all sizes depend on Riverbed to help meet end-user expectations regardless of device, location, or application all while enhancing control and visibility over their entire networks.
- Increase performance on the WAN for TCP applications up to 100 times, and, for specific apps, 100 times or more
- Select the best path for application acceleration everywhere, using deep packet inspection (DPI)-based application awareness to distinguish between business- critical and recreational traffic
- Cut complexity and improve end- user experience by consolidating files, email and application servers, and storage across branches
- Defer costly network bandwidth upgrades by reducing bandwidth utilization up to 99%
- Reduce risk by enabling speedy, resilient, and secure replication and backup over the WAN (often reducing replication times from hours to minutes)
- Comply with regulations, such as SOX, HIPAA, and PCI by optimizing SSL traffic without compromising the end-to-end trust model
- Gain visibility and control by determining where problems exist, what is causing the problems, and how best to solve those problems
- Deliver local-quality performance to remote workers regardless of their location
SteelHead Series Features:
An Integrated Approach To Delivering Optimized Performance
Our SteelHead solutions help organizations run faster and more efficiently, ensuring consistent service levels while cutting IT infrastructure costs.
IT consolidation: LAN-like performance over the WAN
Boomerang Email: 6.4 MB email attachment over T1 WAN – Time to Complete (in seconds)
Virtualization: The “serverless” branch office
MS Excel, Word, PPT, and EXE File Transfer (25.9 MB Total) over T1 WAN - Time to Complete (in seconds)
Boomerang Email — 63 times faster with SteelHead WAN optimization.
File Transfers in Seconds Using SMB3 - 60 times faster performance for for subsequent SteelHead transfers with SteelHead WAN Optimization.
Consolidated IT infrastructure can simplify management, increase resource utilization, and reduce costs. But it can often result in diminished application performance and user productivity, which offsets any cost savings.
With SteelHead, users can access consolidated IT resources without compromising performance.
Moving servers and storage out of the branch and into data centers — where they can be more efficiently aggregated, managed, and secure — allows you to deliver more cost-effective access back to end users across the WAN and Internet.
Putting SteelHead appliances in place also can help optimize your VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V edge services, such as printing or security.
In these scenarios, with no more complex build-outs or remote servers to buy, install, and manage, you can set up your branches more quickly and efficiently while also lowering overhead and increasing user productivity.
Cloud computing: Moving into the cloud
Whether you are creating a private cloud infrastructure or outsourcing to Software-as-a Service providers such as Salesforce.com or Office 365, the limitations on network bandwidth and latency still remain. End users are far away from the data and applications they are trying to access, resulting in poor user response and inefficient application and data delivery. Deploying SteelHead appliances is a great way to defeat both these problems, while also saving money on costly bandwidth upgrades. In short, they can be the driving force to enable consolidation to private or public cloud architectures and a faster path from end users to applications.
SteelHead Cloud WAN optimization regardless of location – you decide where the data lives. We’ll make sure it’s optimized.
Mobility And Disaster Recovery
Our mobile WAN optimization solution can help you address the inherent problems of a distributed workforce, such as high-latency and inconsistent connectivity from changing locations. This enables you to increase employee productivity wherever employees work. SteelHead appliances will also help your organization optimize continuity and recovery across a range of backup, replication, and cloud storage mechanisms without disrupting your current infrastructure — ensuring the protection of existing investments.
Mobility and BYOD: Enabling a remote workforce
SharePoint HTTP File Save: 6.14 MB file via Verizon Wireless v620 Broadband Card (788Kbps with ~200ms RTT latency) – Time to Complete (in seconds)
SharePoint HTTP File Save — 63 times faster with SteelHead Mobile.
It can be a struggle to support mobile users who need access to corporate data and applications. In fact, mobile users often have to accept sub-optimal performance.
Riverbed SteelHead Mobile software extends our award-winning technology to any PC or laptop to deliver acceleration wherever users connect. With SteelHead Mobile, applications run faster, and remote workers have the applications they need anytime, anywhere. Now, bring your own device (BYOD), mobility initiatives, and desktop virtualization solutions can be optimized for use on the WAN.
Business continuity and disaster recovery: Enhanced data protection
NetApp SnapMirror Network Compression and Riverbed SteelHead WAN Optimization over 155 Mbps WAN – Time to Complete (in minutes)
NetApp SnapMirror Data Replication – LAN-like performance with SteelHead WAN Optimization.
With SteelHead, you can perform WAN-based backups or data replication without struggling to finish jobs in a tight backup window. It supports leading enterprise storage solutions, including EMC 2 , Hitachi Data Systems , as well as NetApp SnapMirror data replication and disaster recovery solutions.
With accelerated replication — up to 45 times — you can take more frequent snapshots and dramatically improve your recovery time in the event of a failure. We have advanced features for high-end, data-center-to-data-center disaster recovery, including enhancements for optimized throughput, tunable compression, and clustering for high availability and scalability. You also can use SteelHead appliances to dynamically adapt to “fill the pipe” for high-bandwidth environments, or to adopt higher compression, deduplication, QoS, traffic identification, and path selection to limit the impact on bandwidth for other applications on a shared WAN.
RiOS: The Power Behind the Family:
All SteelHead products are built on the Riverbed Optimization System (RiOS), which powers the product family through a combination of TCP optimization, application-level protocol optimizations, path selection, and patent-pending data reduction. These technologies, along with the RiOS management capabilities, provide a comprehensive solution for enterprise WAN optimization.
Hybrid networks: Greater application reliability and performance
With path selection technology in the latest version of RiOS (8.5), IT organizations can deploy and manage hybrid networks that combine the strengths of a highly reliable MPLS network with the benefits of the Internet — ubiquity, price, and speed. This delivers greater application reliability, performance, and cost savings in data centers, branch offices, and, private or public clouds while retaining IT control and minimizing complexity.
Path selection identifies the applications using deep packet inspection (DPI)-based application awareness to distinguish between business-critical and recreational traffic. You can use it to map applications to the appropriate paths available across the WAN and, in the case of performance issues, dynamically reroute applications to ensure no impact to users. It is simple to configure and can be used with other performance management tools that we provide without complex and tightly coupled router configurations.
Riverbed Path Selection Technology enables IT organizations to deploy and manage hybrid networks to deliver greater applications reliability, performance, and cost-savings in data centers, branch offices, and clouds while retaining control and minimizing complexity.
RiOS: Four streamlining technologies
- Data streamlining
- Reduces bandwidth utilization by up to 99%
- Industry leading scalability and patented de-duplication
- Works with TCP-based protocols and applications including: file sharing (Windows and NFS), email (Exchange and Lotus Notes), CAD, web-based HTTP and HTTPS applications, databases (Oracle), virtual desktops (Citrix and VMware) and collaboration software (SharePoint).
- Works with UDP-based file transfer applications, including Signiant, Aspera and Symantec’s Veritas Volume replicator
- Transport streamlining
- Reduces the number of TCP packets required to transfer data by 65 to 98%
- Enables the acceleration of SSL-encrypted traffic throughout the enterprise to eliminate the security and performance trade-off
- Enables greater utilization of high bandwidth links (long fat networks, such as OC3, OC12, and metrofiber) for HS-TCP and MX-TCP
- Supports satellite optimization for TCP links (based on SCPS extensions) over satellite connections that tend to be high latency, dynamic bandwidth, or lossy due to signal-to-noise ratio
- Application streamlining
- Offers the broadest support for application-specific modules to provide performance improvements on top of the data and transport streamlining optimization performed on all TCP traffic
- Reduces application protocol chattiness up to 98%
- Minimizes application overhead to provide massive throughput increases to such applications as file sharing (CIFS, SMB2/3, and NFS), collaboration software (Sharepoint), email (Exchange, including Office 365 and MAPI, and Lotus Notes), web (HTTP and HTTPS), database (MS-SQL and Oracle), and storage and disaster recovery (NetApp SnapMirror)
- Management streamlining
- Enables easy deployment through auto-discovery of peers and auto- interception of traffic — with no reconfiguration of clients, servers, or routers
- Simplifies ongoing management by providing simple, but powerful, web-based and command-line interfaces, in-depth reporting, and real-time NetFlow export
- Supports a vast array of network environments and topologies, including but not limited to MPLS, VoIP, video conferencing, QoS, VPN, satellite infrastructure, ATM, frame relay, microwave, and wireless
SteelHead for Any Environment and Organization:
Accelerate application performance and data transfer over the WAN, overcoming bandwidth and geographical limitations to improve productivity and enable global collaboration.
- Scalable for the deployment needs of any size
- Riverbed Granite and VSP capable for full branch office consolidation
- Deploy in minutes without changes to the existing IT infrastructure
- Support thousands of users with a device
Easily load balance and scale your network- wide throughput with the Riverbed Interceptor appliance. Cluster up to 25 SteelHead appliances to manage 40 GBps of throughput.
Central Management Console (CMC)
Easily configure, monitor, upgrade, and report on groups of SteelHead, Virtual SteelHead, and Interceptor appliances — all through one easy-to-use web interface. Available as a standalone appliance or CMC virtual edition for deployment flexibility.
Extend WAN optimization and performance to VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 based virtual environments.
- Same application performance and data transfer benefits in a virtual appliance
- Increase capacity on demand
Extend subscription-based WAN optimization to infrastructure as a service (IaaS) clouds. Authorized servers redirect connections to the appropriate cloud appliance to accelerate performance.
- Supported on Amazon Web Services and VMware ESX-based clouds
- Accelerate migration and access to the cloud
- Elastic sizing and easy cloning for the scale-as- you-go infrastructure
SteelHead Cloud Accelerator
Simplify WAN optimization integration into cloud environments in order to more efficiently manage the delivery of business-critical data and content from a public cloud infrastructure.
- Extend WAN optimization to cloud services/ Software as a Service (SaaS) to manage business- critical data and content delivery and ensure peak application performance
- Improve the performance of SaaS applications, such as Salesforce.com and Office 365 by up to 100x
- Benefit from the Akamai deployment footprint and Akamai SureRoute technology to reduce distance, latency and packet loss
Improve mobile and remote user productivity and experience with WAN optimization designed for Windows and Mac based laptops.
- Improve remote employee access to files and applications more than 19 times faster
- Easily scale network performance to hundreds of thousands of remote users
- Manage the policies that determine what optimizations take place per user or groups of users
SteelHead Mobile Controller
Manage SteelHead Mobile licenses and control the deployment, management, and reporting of SteelHead Mobile client software. Available in SMC standalone appliance or SMC virtual edition for deployment flexibility.
- Gain real-time visibility into application and WAN performance
- Access a single source for monitoring and license management
- Receive one-touch software upgrades and health alerts
SteelHead EX: Model Specifications
|Small Office SteelHead||Mid-Size Office SteelHead|
|Model||EX560 Series||EX760 Series|
|Optimized WAN Capacity||6 Mbps||6 Mbps||10 Mbps||10 Mbps||10 Mbps||10 Mbps||20 Mbps|
|Optimized TCP & UDP flows||N/A||250||400||650||900||1500||2300|
|QoS Bandwidth(a)||12 Mbps||12 Mbps||20 Mbps||20 Mbps||45 Mbps||45 Mbps||45 Mbps|
|Data Store Capacity (SSD)||40 GB||40 GB||70 GB||70 GB||140 GB||140 GB||140 GB|
|VSP partition (no granite license)(f)||300 GB||300 GB|
|Granite block store(g)||380 GB(g)||380 GB(g)|
|Storage Fault Tolerance||-|
|Hot Swappable Drives||-|
|RAM (without Granite license)||N/A||8 GB||16 GB|
|Available for VSP (EX version 2) (h)|
|4 GB||8 GB|
|RAM (with Granite license)(e)||16 GB||16 GB|
|Available for VSP (EX version 2)(h,i)||9GB(l)||9 GB||8 GB|
|Expansion Slots (PCI-e)(j)||-|
|Included Bypass Ports (Copper)||4|
|Max. # of Bypass Ports||4|
|Large Office SteelHead|
|Model||EX1160 Series||EX1260 Series (2 TB)|
|Optimized WAN Capacity||10 Mbps||10 Mbps||10 Mbps||20 Mbps||50/100 Mbps(k)||10 Mbps||10 Mbps||10 Mbps||20 Mbps||50/100 Mbps(k)|
|Optimized TCP & UDP flows||N/A||900||1,500||2,300||6,000||N/A||900||1,500||2,300||6,000|
|QoS Bandwidth(a)||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps|
|Data Store Capacity (SSD)||140 GB||140 GB||140 GB||140 GB||280 GB||140 GB||140 GB||140 GB||140 GB||280 GB|
|VSP partition (no granite license)(f)||415 GB||860 GB|
|Granite block store(g)||760 GB (g)||1580 GB (g)|
|Storage Fault Tolerance||RAID(c)||RAID(d)|
|Hot Swappable Drives||4||6||8|
|RAM (without Granite license)||N/A||20 GB||24 GB||N/A|
|Available for VSP (EX version 2) (h)||10 GB||12 GB|
|RAM (with Granite license)(e)
||20 GB||24GB||24 / 32(i) GB||24 / 32(i) GB|
|Available for VSP (EX version 2)(h,i)||10GB(l)||10 GB||12 GB||11 / 19(i)
|11 / 19(i) GB||7 / 15(i) GB|
|Expansion Slots (PCI-e)(j)||2||4|
|Included Bypass Ports (Copper)||4||4|
|Max. # of Bypass Ports||8(m)||8(m)|
|Large Office SteelHead|
|Model||EX1260 Series (4 TB)||EX1360 Series (10 TB)|
|Optimized WAN Capacity||10 Mbps||10 Mbps||10 Mbps||20 Mbps||50/100 Mbps(k)||50 Mbps||50 Mbps||100 Mbps|
|Optimized TCP & UDP flows||N/A||900||1,500||2,300||6,000||N/A||4,500||6,000|
|QoS Bandwidth(a)||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps||100 Mbps|
|Data Store Capacity (SSD)||140 GB||140 GB||140 GB||140 GB||280 GB||320 GB|
|VSP partition (no granite license)(f)||1850 GB||4000 GB|
|Granite block store(g)||3574 GB (g)||9400 GB (g)|
|Storage Fault Tolerance||RAID(d)||RAID(d)|
|Hot Swappable Drives||10||12||24|
|RAM (without Granite license)||N/A|
|Available for VSP (EX version 2) (h)||N/A|
|RAM (with Granite license)(e)||32 / 64(i) GB||32 / 64(i) GB||128 GB|
|Available for VSP (EX version 2)(h,i)||14 / 45(i) GB(l)||14 / 45(i) GB||10 / 41(i) GB||64 GB||64 GB|
|Expansion Slots (PCI-e)(j)||4||4|
|Included Bypass Ports (Copper)||4||4|
|Max. # of Bypass Ports||8(m)||8(m)|
NOTE: All WAN Capacity / Bandwidth, TCP Connections and UDP flows, and QoS specifications listed are maximums and may not be achieved in all environments. The WAN capacity limit is enforced on outbound optimized traffic. Inbound optimized WAN traffic is not capped
(a)Recommended maximum outbound QoS shaping capacity
(b)Total of classes plus rules
(c)RAID 1 configuration for HDD, Data store uses fault tolerant striped (FTS) configuration for SSD
(d)RAID 10 configuration for HDD, Data store uses fault tolerant striped (FTS) configuration for SSD
(e)Granite requires extra memory. In some models - EX760, EX1160 and EX1260 - the memory is always included. On other models (EX560), extra memory is needed to support Granite. EX560 requires 16GB of RAM when configured for Granite.
(f)The VSP partition can be larger with the Granite license. For more details, see the "SteelHead EX Installation and Configuration Guide". These numbers require SteelHead EX v2.1 or higher
(g)This is the maximum Granite space. Depending on the disk setup, this may be shared with VSP.
(h)The RAM available to VSP differs between EX version 1 and EX version 2. In EX version 1, the RAM noted here is given to the VMs. In EX version 2, the RAM noted here is the Host Physical Memory to VSphere. The memory available to guests will be lower than this number.
(i)EX1260 memory can be upgraded to 32GB (2TB model) and 64GB (4TB model)
(j)Optional Network Bypass cards: Quad copper GbE, Dual & Quad LX/SX Fiber GigE (1X4 port or 2X2 port NIC's)
(k)100 Mbps WAN B/W license available on the EX1160 VH/1260 VH only.
(l)VSP version 2 requires EX v2.1 or higher
(m)The 1160, 1260 and 1360 support 1 add-on 4 port card that can be used either for 4 bypass ports or as 4 data ports
Granite Core: Model Specifications
|Upgradeable To||VGC1000 L/M||VGC1000 M||-||VGC 1500 M||-||GC2000 M/H/VH||GC2000 H/VH||GC2000 VH||-|
|Front Swappable Drives||N/A||N/A||2|
|Expansion Slots (PCI-e)||4|
|Included Ports (Copper)||6|
|Max. # of Ports||10|
|Data set size(1)||2 TB||5 TB||10 TB||20 TB||35 TB||5 TB||10 TB||20 TB||35 TB|
(1) Recommended size depending on data type
SteelHead EX: Power & Physical Specifications
|Small Office SteelHead||Mid-Size Office SteelHead||Large Office or Data Center SteelHead||Data Center|
|Model||EX560/760 Series||1160 Series||EX1260 Series||EX1360 Series||GC2000|
|Dual Power Supplies||-|
|Power [Watts] (Typical)||85||175||355||505||330|
|Temperature(ii)||10 - 40 deg C / 50 - 104 deg F (Operating)
-40 - 65 deg C / -40 - 149 deg F (Storage)
|Relative Humidity(i)|| 20% - 80% non-condensing (Operating)
5% - 95% non-condensing (Storage)
|Operating Acoustic noise (Typical)||57 dBA||62 dBA||65 dBA||65 dBA||65dBA|
|System Dimensions (LxWxH)(iii)||15.52 x 17.09 x 1.66 in||25.4 x 17.2 x 1.71 in||25.4 x 17.2 x 3.43 in|
|394.3 x 434.0 x 42.4 mm||645.4 x 436 x 43.5 mm||645.4 x 436 x 87.1 mm|
|Packaging Dimensions||36.25 x 23.38 x 12.5 in
920.8 x 593.7 x 317.5 mm
|Max Weight (without packaging)||17.76 Lbs||36 Lbs||58 Lbs||60 Lbs||58 Lbs|
|8.06 Kg||16.36 Kg||23.36 Kg||27.2 Kg||23.36 Kg|
|Rail Information||Orderable spare part RMK-005||Mounting rail kit included. Orderable spare part RMK-002A|
(i)Operating altitude up to 10,000 feet except in China 6,562 feet (2,000m) (ii)In China- for use in non-tropical locations (iii)Length is without bezel The availability, export or re-export of these products or specific features are subject to the export laws and regulations of the U.S., EU, Singapore, and the laws and regulations of any applicable foreign agency or authority.
Download the Riverbed SteelHead Product Family Spec Sheet (.PDF)
Download the Riverbed SteelHead EX Data Sheet (.PDF)
Download the Riverbed SteelHead Family Brochure (.PDF)
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.